Thursday, Apr. 18, 2019
Please consider the following questions when planning a collaboration with an international university or other institution:
1. Do you have the support of your department chair and school dean or, for organized/special research units, the Vice Chancellor for Research?
2. Does the partner institution and its academic unit share UCI’s reputation for excellence in teaching and research?
3. What are the joint academic activities in which the two institutions will engage? Some examples include:
4. How will these activities benefit UCI?
5. What university resources will be required to carry out these activities?
6. When will the activities ideally begin?
7. Will you be sharing or jointly developing any intellectual property?
8. What will the financial obligations of UCI and the partner institution be? Some examples include:
9. Will the activities taking place at UCI be supported by funding from any external sources?
10. How many years would you like the agreement to be in effect? (3-5 years is common.)
11. You are responsible for implementing and overseeing the activities stated in the agreement. Who will do so if you become unavailable?